Saturday, October 9, 2010

Voting

I can name the day that I first knew that I wanted to vote. November 4, 2000. George W. Bush had just been "elected" (I use elected in quotation marks because there is strong evidence that the election was fraudulent), and I was angry. I knew that I wanted a voice in this system - I wanted to oppose idiots like Bush Jr.
The desire never faded. While other people were looking forward to age 21 and drinking, all I really cared about was being 18 so I could vote.
It shocks me how few people in America vote. About 30% of our population decides who gets into the offices that run our country.
A democracy in which only a select few vote is not a democracy - it might as well be an oligarchy.
If people don't vote, how can they expect any change? They can't complain about the direction their government goes in if they don't exercise the basic privilege of their citizenship.
Too many of the people I went to high school with, who are now of age, have no desire to vote. I can count on one hand the number of people I know who intend to vote.
Our country cannot function without an educated populace who completes the most basic duty of all democracies: voting. It only takes a few minutes - registering takes even less time.
And you should care - government affects everything in your life, and if you're not helping to choose what the government is doing, then you're allowing terrible mistakes to be made.
Start caring; start voting!

No comments:

Post a Comment